NMR website posting Jan 2009
Excerpts of positive responses
Note 1: The only thing I do not like about these messages is the common reference to "courage". There is really no question of "courage" in this context - receiving a few abusive emails is really no big deal.
Note 2: Thanks again to those of you who sent me these messages of support. We all need to feel that we are not alone.
- Many thanks for expressing in clear words what many of us are thinking. Thanks for the courage to stand up!
- That was a wonderful letter on Gaza you sent to the Community. I agree in every respect.
- Thank you for this e-mail. Your way of breaking the silence has been a reassuring message for me this morning. Let us hope that many of us stop showing this complicity.
- We appreciate your courage and the enormous contributions you make to both science and political discussions.
- I am sure you have made a difference in the lives of many scientists today. In mine you did.
- I feel that we need more people like [the list moderator] and Malcolm who are brave enough to voice a science-related concern in a level-headed way and take full responsibility for it, even if others come up with criticism.
- Thank you Malcolm, that had to be said !
- I support completely the view in your letter. I am writing because although you may receive some negative responses, it is important to let you know that many people feel the same way as you do, including myself, and to support someone courageous enough to stand up and say what needs to be said. Thank you.
- thanks for speaking up, makes me glad to belong to the same scientific community as you.
- I am writing to congratulate you on the letter you circulated. Well done.
- I fully share your views about the conflict and about the social responsibility of scientists. The current events so clearly illustrate that wisdom has nothing to do with intelligence; a child can realize that Israel's aggression will turn out to be counterproductive.
- I wish more academics would speak out bravely like this, but it's just not 'the done thing'.
- From your email I think that I share many of your points of view, and I would like to thank you for having the courage to express them.
- I read your email with total sympathy.
- I completely agree with you without any reservation.
- Just a line to fully support your letter broadcasted throught the NMR list. Thank you for helping us to shake our consciences.
- Congratulate you for your message ! I'm politically active in my country, but have always (nearly) completely separated politics and work because I don't dare facing the hostility of my colleagues for such activity ! Your action encourage me to do more...
- I understand this topics is far from being consensual. But I do share exactly the same feeling/position that what you the message conveyed by your mail.
- I appreciate every single word you say, it has been like breathing after a month of oppression. I object the hypocritical idea that everything one says against Israel's actions is branded as "anti-semitism", forgetting the many (?) voices from within Israel itself that are against this horror.
- I just write you to express my gratitude for your mail concerning the disaster in Gaza. It makes me feel better and more optimistic.